The boat was rolled out and I was able to get some pictures from both sides. I really didn't have an idea just how large she was until I got her next to my F150 Supercrew Cab. This is a big boat.
Step-Ups Are Built and Installed
The top two pictures show the step-ups roughed in. These were made to allow for stepping into the boat and also for stepping onto the side decks to go forward. I wanted them to be as functional as possible without taking up deck space or getting in the way. The picture to the left shows them glassed and faired into the sides. They will have a non-skid surface on the step when finished.
Mounting the Engine
Transom ready for the motor.
I wanted to get the motor installed so I could move forward with my controls once the inside helm was completed. I painted the inside of the splash box and put the first coat of the blue on the transom so there were no unpainted areas that would be a hassle once the motor was installed. The installation went about as planned. Took about two hours total and went off without a hitch.
Views with the Motor Installed
The motor looks very small on the splash well until you see the picture of my buddy Mickey standing next to the back of the boat. As I said before the more I put on this hull the bigger the boat seems to get. You can also get perspective on the size looking at Mickey inside the cockpit. He's not a little guy- weighing in over 200 lbs. (sorry Mick)
Overall height of the motor is not that much higher than the transom bulkhead. This should keep a lot of the engine noise contained and my cleaning table/sound dampener will not have to be too high overall.
Progress Continues on the Inside
Coaming pads are made and fitted out.
Controls and seats go in.
The inside of the pilothouse.
Cleaning table/ Sound dampner
Clipped to the side coaming rail.
Yes it does rain in Southern California
A powerful storm blew through the San Diego area and I found this scene when I entered the boat yard. A cinder block that was used to help anchor the corner of the canopy was obviously not heavy enough to counter the wind. The block was flung through the air and just clipped my roof. It tore up about a 3" piece of the roof but fortunately the fiberglass held it in place. It should be easily repaired.
I'm glad I didn't have my front windows in yet as the port one would have probably been shattered.