Hatch is fitted out and the top of the cabin cut to size.
Through deck access to the hose connection for both tanks.
Back hatch opens to a compartment that will house both my bait and wash down pumps.
Can never have too many places to throw stuff when fishing...
I will probably end up making this deeper to facilitate a bigger dash.
Completely closing in my transom. Batteries on the starboard side and tackle box storage on the port. Cut out in the middle is for the bilge.
Boxing in the splash well.
Fitting out the top pieces to the storage compartments.
Working on the inside has me going in a number of different directions. Didn't want to put the helm in until I got the deck on. Couldn't finish the aft portion of the deck until I figured out how I was going to make the transom compartments, etc.
The transom is going to be pretty custom. On the starboard side compartment I will have two batteries along with my trim tab pump. There will also be additional storage along with all my cables and wiring routed through. The port compartment will have a shelf for two full size tackle boxes along with the fuel water separator and fuel computer transducer. There will also be storage for fish cleaning knives and bait preparation. Doors will cover both openings.
Spanning the splash box will be a fish cleaning table made out of Starboard. This will be able to be adjusted for height.
Fish holds will be nearly seven feet long and located on the outside of the stringers where the pilothouse begins, all the way back to the transom bulkhead.
Cleaning table spanning the splash well. It will be raised to clear the motor.
Raising the Roof for the Pilot House
Raising the roof...in 30mph winds!
Had to tie the canopy down or it would have ended up in Arizona.
Canopy securely fastened...I hope.
The Upper Pieces Are Fitted Out
She's really taking shape...
Side window openings are cut out.
Top of cabin is prepped for glassing.
Front window openings are next.
The front panels were swept back at a 25 degree angle and the window openings cut out. The pilothouse roof was fitted to the top leaving a 6" overhang at the front and a 1" overhang on the sides. I originally cut it out of 1/4" ply but I went back and did it out of 1/2" ply. By the time I reinforced everything it would have ended up being mostly 1/2" so I just decided to make it out of 1/2" and save myself some work. This way I won't have to add any extra wood to give the roof a thicker look and it should be strong enough for mounting the rod racks and radar post.
This project is amazing in that the more I add to the hull the bigger the boat seems to get... .
The rub-rail was installed and really defined the lines of the hull. I also added an accent piece along the pilot house that tapers up to the very front of the cabin. I got this idea from the down'east type lobster boats out of Maine. This piece will be painted the same navy blue as the hull and provide some visual character to the upper works.
The bow pulpit was then added. I made it by taking 16 pieces of 1X2X24" oak and epoxying them face to face to produce a 12" wide by 24"long X 1 3/4"solid plank. I then surface planed it down to a thickness of 1 1/4" and cut it to shape. It was covered with 10oz fiberglass cloth and glued and screwed onto the deck. An anchor roller will be installed on which the anchor will sit and hang over the forward edge.
Transom Nears Completion
Doors added to the transom bulkhead
Splash well is taped and sealed.
Everything is tied into the stringers making an 18" thick transom.
Hatch covers allow top access to the transom cabinets.
A 5" deep enclosed shelf will hold knives, pliers and misc. stuff.
The transom is almost finished. All the joints are taped with 22oz biaxial tape and all I have left to do is glass the entire surface area with 6oz cloth. I got the effect I wanted in that the splash well is small and completely closed in by high sides. Even if water is slow to drain from the two one inch drain holes, it will only take on about 7 inches of water before it drains back over the lip of the motor mount. It's almost like having a bracket with a completely enclosed transom. Very safe.
The port hatch opens to a 5" deep fully enclosed shelf for storage of "whatever". The bait prep/cleaning station will span the splash well so I will probably keep knives, pliers and fishing gear in this space. The starboard hatch opens to the whole inside of the cabinet. Both compartments drain to the bilge and have removeable shelves if I have to get all the way to the bottom.
The plan is to build a three sided "box" for the fish cleaning table (the table acts as the top)that will mount to the inside walls of the splashwell with wing nuts. This box will act as a sound dampening cowling to keep motor noise from going directly into the back of the pilot house. It should significantly reduce the noise heard underway and eliminate it completely while idling or slow trolling.